Tuesday 18th January, 10.00am-12.00pm, Pantygwydr Baptist Church, Ernald Place, Uplands, Swansea SA2 0HN or online for 10 weeks.
Course fee: £tbc
From quintets to dodectets – music for larger chamber groups
Mozart quintets, Schubert quintets, Beethoven’s Septet, Schubert’s Octet – there’s a wealth of great works written for larger chamber groups and not just by the First Viennese School. The Mendelssohn Octet, the Brahms quintets and sextets, Tchaikovsky’s Souvenir de Florence and Schönberg’s Verklärte Nacht are just a few later examples of the extraordinary quality of music that composing for larger chamber ensembles has inspired .
Wednesday 19th January, 2.30-4.30, St. James Church Hall, Walter Road, Swansea SA1 4QF or online for 10 weeks.
Course fee: c. £40
The string quartet
Undoubtedly the most successful of chamber ensembles, the string quartet has a repertoire which all other instrumental groups from the full symphony orchestra down must envy. Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert wrote some of their finest music for it, establishing a reputation such that many later composers saw the writing of music for two violins, a viola and a cello as the pinnacle of their artistic endeavours.
St. James Church’s current Health & Safety information:
- Our H&S officer has advised a 30 people capacity for the large hall & 6 for the small hall to allow for a 1 metre social distancing
- A maximum of 3 people in the kitchen at any time.
- Masks must be worn at all times until seated.
- To maximise ventilation all internal doors and windows will need to remain open, these will have been opened prior to your arrival.
- Please keep a register of attendees for Test and Trace purposes and notify us of any attendees who test positive for Covid-19.
- Hand sanitisers are available at the entrance & in the halls.